The Foxearth and District Local History Society

Borley Rectory Pictures

A collection of pictures of Borley Rectory

Borley postcards and photographs
The complete Borley Rectory story- The Bones of Borley
A good introduction to the Borley Rectory story.

Foxearth postcards and photographs
Ward's Brewery postcards and photographs
Old postcards and pictures from Glemsford
Cavendish postcards and photographs
Pentlow postcards and photographs
Belchamp postcards and photographs
Liston postcards and photographs
Long Melford postcards and photographs
Clare postcards and photographs

To get pictures of a size suitable for printing or close inspection click on the picture or the accompanying text. Please remember that we are very much on the lookout for pictures of Borley Rectory in order to make a comprehensive collection here.
The photograhs themselves are scanned in sufficient quality to provide an A4 photograph is a quality that is almost indistinguishable from the original

Harry Price, as he liked to be imagined.
The Rev Smith and VC Wall, the reporter from the Daily Mirror that broke the story of the Ghost, standing by the summerhouse
An arial view of the church in the fifties showing the excavations of the site of the rectory
the rectory.jpg
Borley Rectory, viewed from the road, showing the walled-up window.
The Lower Hall, looking from the passage to the front door towards the drawing room door. The door at the end of the passage led out into the vegetable garden (known as the 'potato patch') and Glasshouse.
The bathroom passage. There was a hatch here from which the bells downstairs could be rung by tugging the wires.
Borley Rectory. Tha landing outside the Blue Room, Through the arch, and to the left was the 'Schoolroom', and to the right a long passage with several bedrooms
The bedroom known as the 'School Romm' next to the 'Blue Room'. Marked as Bedroom 7 on the maps.
The old coat that caused excitement to the spiritualists
The courtyard during the Price Tenency, much neglected and overgrown.
The Drawing room. during the Price Tenancy
The gate known romantically by some of the Bull Girls as the 'Postern Gate'
A view of the 'front' door showing the bricked-up window that was blocked as people in the road could see the family at dinner. The Bull Girls invented the idea that it was bricked up to stop the ghostly nun peering in.
The Rectory Drive from the kitchen end looking toward the tennis courts.. Curiously, the drive was in much the same place when the previous rectory occupied the spot
A view down the kitchen passage from the Dining Room, The 'Back Stairs (Servants stairs) can just be seen in the distance.
The 'nuns walk'. This once was a view over neatly-kempt lawns. There is a low boundary wall in the distance. This path was used as a short-cut from Rodbridge down to Belchamp Brook, and across to Bulmer.
One of Price's 'Official Observers' in the Library.
The 'Blue Room' which was the main bedroom in the house.
1890 rectory.jpg
Borley Rectory in 1890. The varana overlooked a huge tennis-court
The Drawing Room of Borley Rectory in 1890
The Summerhouse of Borley Rectory. This was said to be the spot from where Harry Bull used to see the ghost.
Borley Rectory, taken from the Church Tower
The churchyard, amd Borley Rectory, taken from the church tower
The forlorn interior of Borley Rectory soon before it was burned down
The Dining room of Borley Rectory in 1990
The Dining Room fireplace, impressive by any standards
The cellars after the fire.
Rev Harry Bull, towards the end of his life
Borley Rectory, showing a tennis match in 1896.
The famous 'Tunnel' under the road at Borley Rectory in 1957, with Len Sewell showing graphically how it could never have been designed for human use. Actually, it is a storm-water culvert draining the cellars of Borley Place
Borley Church at the turn of the century
Trevor Hall, who was part of the team from the Society of Psychical Research who debunked the affair of Borley Rectory, and who went on to expose Harry Price's various other deceptions.
The Rectory soon after the fire, and before the gable ends blew down in a subsequent storm
The rectory site taken after the demolition of the rectory and the clearance of the site.
The Rectory Cottage, after the demolition of the rectory. The Cottage actually predated the rectory and was a rebuilding of an earler structure. The porch has been newly-built into the coachhouse door and the remains of the glass awning can be seen curving up towards the upper window.
A tea-party at the rectory whic included Guy Eric Smith and his wife Mabel, being entertained by Lione and Marianne Foyster. The other man is Lionel's brother Bernard.
A signed picture of Harry Price. The protograph was believed to have once been in the possession of his secretary Lucie Kaye
Happier days at the Rectory, when it was properly looked-after. Harry Bull stands proudly on the tennis-lawn. with his wife and step-daughter reclining. Beyond the tree onb the left was a well-tended vegetable garden and a glass-house, used to grow grapes.
Mrs Henry Bull surrounded by her remaining unmarried daughters.
The interior of Borley Church. Despite the hopes of spiritualists, the church has never been haunted.
The south east facade of Borley Rectory looking out over the old Tennis Court in 1929.
The Dining Room showing the splendid carved fireplace, bought, evidently, at the Great Exhibition.
The ruins of the Rectory after the gables had blown down in a storm.
The covered way and hand-pump. The water supply to the rectory and cottage had to be pumped into a well-tank in the roof by hand using this pump. There were store-rooms behind the doors in the covered way.
Trevor Hall relaxing at Sidney Glanville's house in Pulborough. The two became good friends
A view of Borley Rectory soon after the fire
The picture of the demolition showing the so-called 'Flying Brick'.. (the demolition men were actually at work at the time)
Harry Price in his laboratory
The gothic summerhouse at the end of the farden. This appears to be a very fine 'Strawberry-hill Gothic building designed to be seen in the distance from the house as a sort of miniature folly. It predates the rectory and must belong to the previous house,.
The fron tall and main stairs. A stove was inserted to warm this area of the house a bit.
The upper halllooking toward the chapel. The chapel itself was tiny, and most of what is visible is the bedroom bassage. The effect of the stained-glass window was achieved by coloured paper.
Roger Glanville and Mark Kerr-Pearce. Two of Price's keenest 'Official Observers'
Marianne Foyster, who was found by several investigators, including Harry Price, to have faked the poltergeist phenomena at Borley Rectory. Photo taken around 1920
Borley Church, in a slightly overgrown state in 1949
Marianne Foyster with her adopted baby John.
Marianne with a neighbour, Mrs Fenton at the time when she was running a flowershop with Frank Pearless, her former lodger and lover.
Marianne Foyster in London
Harry Price and Mollie Goldney on either side of Marianne and Lionel Foyster and their adopted daughter adelaide. Frank Jnr, the boy, was the son of the lodger.