The Foxearth and District Local History Society

Pentlow Pictures

A collection of old postcards of past Pentlow

  1. Home
  2. Acton -Acton postcards and photographs
  3. Belchamp and Yeldham -Belchamp and Yeldham postcards and photographs
  4. Borley -Borley postcards and photographs
  5. Bures -Bures postcards and photographs
  6. Cavendish -Cavendish postcards and photographs
  7. Clare -Clare postcards and photographs
  8. Foxearth -Foxearth postcards and photographs
  9. Glemsford -Old postcards and pictures from Glemsford
  10. Liston -Liston postcards and photographs
  11. Melford -Long Melford postcards and photographs
  12. Pentlow -Old Pentlow postcards and photographs
  13. Poslingford -Old Poslingford postcards and photographs
  14. Stoke-by-Clare -Stoke-by-Clare photographs & postcards
  15. Sudbury -Sudbury postcards and photographs
  16. Wards Brewery -Ward's Brewery postcards and photographs

To get pictures of a size suitable for printing or close inspection click on the picture or the accompanying text. Please remember that we are very much on the lookout for pictures of old Pentlow in order to make a comprehensive collection here.
The photographs themselves are scanned in sufficient quality to provide an A4 photograph is a quality that is almost indistinguishable from the original

The back of Pentlow Mill, possibly around 1943. (800 x 513)
Blacksmiths Row. The houses were later rendered by a retired railwayman who wished them to look a bit more 'modern'. (1300 x 824)
The Blacksmiths Row cottages at the top of Windmill Hill, showing some of the children who lived there. These cottages were built on what was once part of the road (1479 x 948)
Cavendish Station, and bridge viewed from across the river (1000 x 610)
Pentlow Church: an early photograph dating from before the 1887 restoration, showing the old rendering peeling off (1274 x 1281)
A view of Pentlow Church that was once in the possession of Reg Johnson, the Sexton. (1884 x 1390)
Pentlow Church, taken from the east side (1800 x 1408)
The church interior, showing the old stove. (1800 x 1352)
The Kempe Chapel (1191 x 1600)
The church, showing no window to the west of the porch (1800 x 1368)
The church tower, taken from the grounds of Pentlow Hall (2527 x 1875)
The Sexton's son, dressed in his Sunday best (533 x 856)
James Johnson, the son of the sexton. (418 x 702)
Drawing of the old Pentlow Rectory, showing the large viewing tower, precursor of the later tower, and the adjacent stables. (1223 x 681)
The view from Pentlow Bridge, a view once published in a magazine (1000 x 811)
Delivering bread to Pentlow residents during a flood. A family is negotiating the flood-walk, still there but remade in concrete. In bad floods, the water would be up to the top of their boots. (726 x 464)
A more modern flood of the Stour. (Autumn 2000) (800 x 509)
A detail of the font taken from an old photograph. Some of the detail has since been lost. (469 x 800)
The famous Saxon font at Pentlow Church. (960 x 1506)
A shot of Pentlow Mill, showing the road which curved down to the tailrace to enable wagons to turn. (1134 x 698)
Pentlow Hall, The gardener's cottage. It looks as if the gardener's cottage and the gatehouse were done to identical designs originally, though they have both morphed considerably since (1139 x 749)
The subject and location of this is unknown, but it seems to be a group of Cambridge undergraduates on a day outing to the 'Socialist Farm' at what is now Paines Manor, posing with the local counstable. (3240 x 2051)
Pentlow Hall Farm, now known as Pentlow House. This was originally built as a dower house for the hall, on the side of the existing farm house. (3144 x 1908)
A farmhouse in Pentlow. So far unidentified! (800 x 564)
A cottage in Pentlow, so far unidentified. (800 x 570)
Sketch of Pentlow Mill, from 1946 (1663 x 1346)
An Iron age bowl, discovered in the river (379 x 392)
The Kempe memorial at Pentlow Church (1476 x 938)
A map of 1835, showing Pentlow Hall, and both the farm and mill that was part of the estate. (2179 x 1286)
A map of Pentlow Rectory, showing the moated building and a sketch of its appearance (2000 x 1551)
Pentlow Mill, in a photo taken by Richard Burn. It shows a crane on the front lawn extracting gravel (for making airfields) so would seem to be a wartime photo. c 1943 (1469 x 1045)
The front of Pentlow Mill showing a covered grain wagon, photographed in about 1880 (800 x 557)
The miller stands proudly outside the front of the mill house. (1424 x 2228)
Pentlow Mill, a view from the bridge showing the road down to the tailrace (3204 x 1964)
The back of Pentlow Mill in around 1950. Unfortunately the back walls were rebuilt in red brick in the 1960s and large 'off-the-shelf' windows inserted. (800 x 1259)
The gate-house to Pentlow Hall. The house still exists, but its thatch has been replaced with concrete tiles and its windows have been replaced with modern windows. The eighteenth century brickwork is now rendered (1200 x 811)
Old photograph of Pentlow Church taken after the 1883 restoration but while the tower still had lime rendering on it, and before the insertion of the south-west window in the nave. (1566 x 986)
Opposite Pinkuah Arms before it had a Licence, pre 1930 (475 x 324)
Paines Manor, Pentlow (1594 x 998)
Pentlow Bridge, built in 1887 The crest of Essex County Council is on one side and the Suffolk crest is on the other. It is listed. (1682 x 1048)
The Johnson family with James Johnson, the waggoner for Pentlow Hall Farm. (3404 x 2131)
A photo of Pentlow Hall, taken some time before 1916. (3167 x 1967)
Pentlow Home Guard c1940 in front of the Pinkuah (601 x 404)
A colourised photo of the floodwalk over the river at the front of Pentlow Mill. (1629 x 1061)
The floodwalk over the Stour Valley. There was once a ford on this spot. There has been a bridge over the stour here for at least four hundred years (800 x 499)
Pentlow Mill, showing the millpond. There is a smart engine shed alongside the headrace, and a range of buildings where the walled garden is now. (1575 x 1061)
Pentlow Rectory had been a charming house dating back hundreds of years, but it was replaced around 1880 by Edwin Bull with a rather unfortunately designed brick structure in the fashionable 'country house' style. (1527 x 923)
The pea harvest. The men are holding their 'Pea Makes'. (1200 x 864)
A classic view of the Saxon church. It was heavily restored in the fourteenth and nineteenth century, but retains its semi-circular asp, and therefore its incredible acoustics. South West window looks very new. It was inserted as a memorial after 1914-18 War (1586 x 986)
Pentlow Church in 1937, from the east. (800 x 582)
The inside of Pentlow Church, showing the new pulpit, and oil lamps (1503 x 956)
Pentlow church view, from a postcard (1058 x 662)
1877 Sketches of the great west door and the Anglo Norman font of Pentlow Church (520 x 766)
Pentlow Church is built on top of a large tumulus on the valley floor, in a site full of crop-marks from bronze-age round-barrows etc. (1524 x 969)
A photo of Pentlow Hall taken in 1937 (789 x 559)
Pentlow Hall, a sketch from 1835 (1095 x 742)
Pentlow Hall, showing the old bridge over the moat (1000 x 616)
Harvesting in Pentlow (1200 x 837)
The large meadow in front of Pentlow Mill. Still a well-known landmark This tinted photograph was taken in the 1880s (1627 x 962)
Pentlow Mill, from an old postcard. It shows the old road leading up from the millpond. (2000 x 1394)
An early tinted picture of Pentlow Mill, showing the characteristic Lucam , and revealing the back of Cavendish in the distance including Joseph Garret's maltings next to the congregational church (800 x 501)
A coach outing from Pentlow (1603 x 1174)
A group taken at the Pinkuah Arms. Includes Alan Mayhew, George Chambers who was killed in Home Guard accident, Albert Plumb: at the front Bill Chambers and Charlie Wordley (1293 x 888)
A print showing Pentlow Rectory, which was demolished to make way for the more luxurious brick-built rectory of the Bulls. (741 x 527)
Pentlow School. c1900, funded by the rector. The building on the right is the previous school (692 x 400)
Pentlow School Photograph. We don't know what year this was taken, sadly, or anybody's names. (1443 x 917)
A class of children at Pentlow School (1200 x 777)
A wartime photograph of a group of friends standing outside the Pinkuah Arms. (1000 x 662)
The Pinkuah Arms, Pentlow's sole pub (1558 x 954)
At the head of Pinkuah lane were once some delightful thatched cottages. The Village of Pentlow once had its centre around this lane, which then went down into the valley to join the old Clare road, now a bridleway, and was the main route to the village from the south. (1264 x 843)
Rectory lane, Pentlow (1300 x 798)
The sexton's sons, who lived in the house next to Pentlow Hall Farm (1530 x 954)
Reg Johnson, who was the local milkman and the Sexton of Pentlow church. He is standing outside the Hall Farm, now called Pentlow House. (634 x 952)
The Johnson Family, the sexton's sons in front of a barn near Lady Nights Barn. Reg, holding the dog, later became the sexton for the church. (1552 x 972)
The meeting of the SCMCF at Pentlow Hall. We have no idea what the SCMCF was. (2000 x 1306)
Now called Stable House, this was built for the Johnson family who worked on the Hall farm and looked after the church. They supplied two generations of Sextons for the church. Mrs Johnson and son Reg shown (1641 x 1044)
Stable Cottage, next to Pentlow Hall Farm. (1764 x 1260)
A tinted view of Cavendish taken from the edge of Hullets Wood across the Stour. The river is the Mill Leat for Pentlow Mill, artificially widened and deepened. The railway can just be seen (1000 x 587)
A view of the Stour. The location is uncertain, but is said to be Pentlow (898 x 1470)
Cropmarks in the field opposite Pentlow Church, showing the Bronze-age round barrows in the valley near the river. There are also signs of gravel-workings and osier beds (722 x 538)
Pentlow Mill, in the 1930s, showing how vans had replaced wagons in transporting the grain. A sack is in the process of being hoisted. The old footbridge over the river is shown (1800 x 1098)