The Foxearth and District Local History Society

Glemsford Pictures

A collection of old postcards of past Glemsford

  1. Home
  2. Acton -Acton postcards and photographs
  3. Belchamp and Yeldham -Belchamp and Yeldham postcards and photographs
  4. Borley -Borley postcards and photographs
  5. Bures -Bures postcards and photographs
  6. Cavendish -Cavendish postcards and photographs
  7. Clare -Clare postcards and photographs
  8. Foxearth -Foxearth postcards and photographs
  9. Glemsford -Old postcards and pictures from Glemsford
  10. Liston -Liston postcards and photographs
  11. Melford -Long Melford postcards and photographs
  12. Pentlow -Old Pentlow postcards and photographs
  13. Poslingford -Old Poslingford postcards and photographs
  14. Stoke-by-Clare -Stoke-by-Clare photographs & postcards
  15. Sudbury -Sudbury postcards and photographs
  16. Wards Brewery -Ward's Brewery postcards and photographs

To get pictures of a size suitable for printing or close inspection click on the picture or the accompanying text. Please remember that we are very much on the lookout for pictures of old Glemsford in order to make a comprehensive collection here.
The photographs themselves are scanned in sufficient quality to provide an A4 photograph is a quality that is almost indistinguishable from the original

A.C.Copsey, Fish merchant and fruiterer (2025 x 1290)
The Angel Inn in Egremont Street, Mrs Smith in the foreground (765 x 488)
Apple pickers at Boxted Park (1338 x 857)
Bellingham's Sweet and Tobacco Shop (1611 x 1056)
There was a Horsehair factory here representative of a trade once common throughout the district. Ted Hartley remembered 'Further on towards Bells Lane stood the Prince of Wales Public House and opposite Jim Brown's shop and bakehouse. The bread oven was made of firebricks, faggots were put in it and set alight, left to burn out, the ashes were raked out and the dough put in - the end product was a crusty tasty loaf.' (660 x 422)
Glemsford bridge (3240 x 2040)
The Broadway faced Fair Green. It is a very old green, and was used from mediaeval times for a Fair. (1808 x 1230)
The Broadway and Tye Green, with the road to Fern Hill. Near Lion Road, was Thompson's sweetshop. Nearby was Lambert's sweetshop and milk retail business, a very busy and popular shop. (3168 x 2064)
Looking up towards the school from the broadway and Fair Green (1610 x 992)
The Broadway was once known as Tilney's Green, after Tilney's manor that once stood on the high ground to the north. Here was Alfred Gane's bakehouse and Post Office. After the bread was removed, housewives used to take pies to bake in the oven, which was still hot, this service cost Id or ll/2d. (800 x 517)
Brook Street, Glemsford, showing a well-tilled vegetable garden. The cottages beyond were built by Alex Duff for the silk workers around 1850. (2025 x 1268)
Brook Street, Glemsford in 1905. Jimmy Jarman lived in Brook Street, he was the local postman, he had ladies and gents bicycles for hire at 4d per hour. (3276 x 2040)
Brook Street, Glemsford, showing the silk factory ahead. There was a timber yard to the left beyond the curve in the road, and in the distance is the road toTye Green. (3252 x 1980)
The Top of Brook street showing part of the old silk factory where umbrella silk was woven by hand (1000 x 596)
Brook Street, Glemsford. In the distance beyond the road lading to the Silk Mill (Factory) is Hill Farm (1300 x 858)
Browns Safety Coaches (1590 x 1086)
Bullingham and Maxim's Butchers Shop. They were the son and son in law of the original owner. It was on the same site as Mrs Maxim's sweet and tobacco shop next to Long's Grocery shop (841 x 537)
The Bush Boake Allen Pools Winnders. (2048 x 1536)
Byford Furniture Removals worked in Glemsford. They had been hauliers for generations and once used to be carriers to London. (1000 x 685)
The Carnival Float (800 x 489)
A horse and cart, with a baler in the background looking somewhat like an ancient helicopter (1590 x 1023)
Before the First World War, motor charabancs were used mainly for day trips, as they were not comfortable enough for longer journeys, especially the early ones with solid tyres, and were largely replaced by motor buses in the 1930s. (1560 x 972)
"We travelled by charabanc, these held 25 people, no roof, just a canvas hood, and we had to get out and push it up hills." (1300 x 831)
It would be good to identify the Glemsford people on a happy day out on a Charabanc (1300 x 863)
A grand outing (2444 x 1800)
An early Charabanc. This seems to be a converted WW1 army lorry. The army-surplus lorries kickstarted the motor bus industry because they were cheap, and easy to convert due to their huge chassis; but with solid wheels they weren't comfortable. (1081 x 665)
Another Charabang outing (can anyone identify it?) (1578 x 963)
Chequers Lane, Glemsford, showing the silk mill in the distance. Next to the old house, once the home of John Golding, were houses built for the silk weavers. down Chequers Lane we come to the brook, which has steps leading to the water and a brick wall around the top. The brook has never been known to run dry. When the watertower was painted on the inside every 3 or 4 years, the water became undrinkable, so the villagers fetched brook water in cans and buckets. (3228 x 2003)
Chequers, until recently divided into three houses, was expertly restored to its mediaeval grandeur (640 x 480)
'A Little Bit of Old Glemsford'. This was, in 1533, the house of John Golding 'one of the King's Auditors in his Exchequer', from which the lane got its name (1906 x 1248)
Glemsford Church in around 1904, with a browsing donkey (3239 x 2087)
A more recent view of Glemsford Church (1374 x 907)
Churchgate, St Mary's Church tower showing above the roofs, with the road leading towards Monks Hall, Place farm and Scotchford bridge. c1906 Jimmy Brown's General Stores on the left. On the right is the Prince of Wales public house. The bicycle with its large basket belonged to the photographer, and he usually liked to include it in his photos. (3206 x 1890)
The view down Bells Lane from Churchgate (the word 'Gate' is a viking word for a street) (864 x 575)
St Mary's church, around 1900 (1492 x 892)
St Mary's church, taken in about 1910, showing the pond which has now gone. (1744 x 1100)
To the left of the church was Churchgate Farm, farmed by John Goodchild who was known as "Tapper", he also farmed Duffs Hill and Mill Hill farms, and he owned a portable steam engine drawn by 2 horses, which was taken to different farms to drive the pitcher or elevator, drum and chaff cutter. To the right of the church was Park Farm House, run by the Sterry family. (1284 x 900)
Clarke's butcher's van at the Broadway (1000 x 688)
Clay Cottages off Hunts Hill, Glemsford. (1832 x 1304)
Bradnam's old post office at Glemsford (now a private house called 'cobewbs') (800 x 502)
Colchester Bus outside the Prince of Wales, Churchgate (2048 x 1375)
The Shepherds Cottage, Fernhill. The cottage burned down in the 1930s (1000 x 686)
The Council Houses and a vintage vehicle. The gardens were huge, reckoned to be sufficient to support a family with vegetables. (3108 x 2016)
The Crown was a large 'commercial Hotel, used by the many commercial travellers visiting the various factories in the town. It had many assembly rooms in the back. (1528 x 952)
The Crown Hotel. Possibly the coach is driven by David Ward (1000 x 719)
The Crown Inn, Glemsford. On the left is the road to the Silk Mill, advertising 'Home-Brewed Beer'. (2048 x 1288)
Cutting's Shop in 31 Egremont Street. A cart drives past the Cock Inn, c1906 (3264 x 2004)
The staff of W.J. Cutting's shop (3228 x 2040)
W.J. Cuttings' Grocers shop in Egremont Street (1386 x 940)
Harry Debenham's team of decorators outside Boxtead Hall (1119 x 819)
A domestic science lesson at the school (1000 x 704)
Duffs Hill Farm, Glemsford, in 1922. Duffs Hill Farm was owned and farmed by 'Tapper' Goodchild (3203 x 2028)
Duff's Hill, May 1913 with S Smith's shop and his general dealers cart loaded with goods and with William Goodchild riding by on his horse. At the bottom of Duffs Hill was Leo Smith's grocery and hardware shop, he was known as 'Shocking Smith' as he always complained of the shocking trade. (2018 x 1260)
The Ebenezer Baptist Chapel in Egremont street. An early C19 rectangular chapel faced with plaster There is a central circular panel with the words Ebenezer Baptist Chapel and the date 1829. The congregation had their own pastor, Mr, A. J. Ward in the late 1800's and the last, Pastor Laver, resigned in 1945. (982 x 591)
William Goodchild rides past A.R. Clarke's shop at Egremont Street in the 1920s. The Angel Inn in the background (1083 x 694)
Egremont Street Glemsford Early 1900s, showing A.R. Clarke's Grocer'sa shop. Opposite is the Angel Inn. (2037 x 1283)
Egremont Street, Glemsford with the Angel Inn on the right. Some of the fine weavers houses in Egremont street, dating from the fifteenth and sixteenth century. Even though a Petrol pump is evident, the photograph dates from the days before car-ownership was common. Although the buildings are still there, parked cars now dominate the scene (3228 x 2016)
Egremont street, showing the Angel Inn (2025 x 1230)
Egremont Street, The view from the Cock towards the Angel. The shop on the right was a Bootmakers belonging to Chinnery (1554 x 1125)
Mr Goodchild rides into town (Egremont street) in 1905, past A.E. Clarke's Grocery Shop (1000 x 675)
Fair Green \& the Broadway, Glemsford in the 1950s (3251 x 2027)
Peace celebrations on Fair Green in July 1918. The village used to have an annual fair 'for pedlery and toys' on Fair Green which had ceased bvy the start of the 19th century (1776 x 1299)
Fair Green, in the days when it was a separate hamlet. (1200 x 755)
A delightful photo of the children living at Tye Green in around 1905 posing in front of Fenn's shop. Hartley's Millwwrights shop is in the background, with several wagons parked on the Green. The photographer was guaranteed sales of his photos as family photos were uncommon, and many photographers at the time encouraged them by scattering some farthings on the ground before the photo. (2048 x 1332)
The road to Fern Hill. The children would head off to Fern Hill and over the iron railings on the right side of the hill to the rough meadowland sloping down to the deep ditch or watercourse. This was known to all the boys and girls as the Squeech and further on a shallow part was called the 'Runnies'. Both of these, with their huge beech trees were favourite haunts of all the young boys and girls, especially in summer, (1300 x 817)
The workers at the 'English Flax Ltd' Flax factory in the Lower Road (3299 x 2066)
The ladies of the Flax Factory (6512 x 4188)
Glemsford Football team 1930, 1931 (1210 x 922)
German POWs at Glemsford Flax Factory in 1916 (2836 x 1983)
Glemsford Fair at Fair Green. (3192 x 2004)
In case there is any doubt about the romance of Glemsford! This was a novelty card that made similar claims about many other places in East Anglia (2076 x 3264)
Portraits of two villagers who took part in the famous Glemsford Riot. (2951 x 2339)
A view of Glemsford from Hill Farm, showing the the Crown Hotel before the building of spring meadow (1707 x 1053)
The horse hair factory on Windmill Row. Top row: Aggis Chatters, Bessie Hartley, Kate Starling, Ellen Hartley, Bessie Chinery, Jane Theobald, Elsie Chinery, Eliza Oakley, Roda Oakley and Joe Bevis. Bottom Row: Florrie Bevis, Mabel Keefe, Annie Chatters, Gladys Theobald, Anna May Oakley, Lily Chatters, and Bessie Clark (1632 x 1005)
A picture postcard of Glamsford. A handwritten note on the back says 'just a not to tell you that Glemsford is still hear.' (1600 x 967)
Hunts Hill (1135 x 795)
Cowtayles house at Hunts Hill, a hall house dating back to 1430-1450, (1320 x 790)
The centre-piece of a picture postcard of Glemsford. (832 x 812)
Gothic cottages in New Street. The cottages are still there but sadly, their gothic windows are no longer there (741 x 509)
Goulds Horsehair factory, which made violin bows around 1950 (1641 x 1017)
The Greyhound inn in Egremont Street (3276 x 2040)
The Greyhound inn around 1890 (861 x 536)
Mr Grimwood baking bread in a field (1032 x 1629)
Harry Debenham's men clear out the Silk Mill pond (2048 x 1531)
The Hartley family group photographed in front of the Wheelwrights cottage, in around 1865 (3404 x 2436)
The Hartleys' cottage showing the workshop at the site. The chestnut tree has long gone. (1300 x 817)
Long's grocery and Drapers, with Maxim's Sweet shop on Hunts Hill (729 x 437)
Hunt's Hill Glemsford (1608 x 1008)
The view from Hunts Hill toward the Crown Hotel (1200 x 730)
Kate Slater's Wedding 1911 at Clay Cottages. (2928 x 2340)
Not yet identified. One of the Hartley children? (603 x 1000)
One of the Hartley childen. (652 x 1000)
Glemsford boys practice their drill (1000 x 629)
Glemsford lads doing their best to look cool. (826 x 1108)
Glemsford Lady with a bicycle. The introduction of the bicycle caused one of the most radical changes in local life because transport was, for the first time, affordable for anyone. (644 x 1000)
Haymaking somewhere in Essex, an early photograph (550 x 435)
Fred Hartley giving a friend a lift from the station on his new motorbike (1488 x 894)
A patriotic youngster, posing for a photograph near the church (1090 x 1662)
The Shepherds Cottage in victorian times. The garden is full of fruit trees and bushes. (1596 x 1032)
Mat Makers outside The Three Turns Mat Factory, Glemsford, 1880 (5676 x 3876)
The Ebenezer Baptist Chapel in Egremont street. An early C19 rectangular chapel faced with plaster There is a central circular panel with the words Ebenezer Baptist Chapel and the date 1829. Che congregation had their own pastor, Mr, A. J. Ward in the late 1800's and the last, Pastor Laver, resigned in 1945. (982 x 591)
Monks Hall, at the bottom of Church Hill, c 1900 when three tenements (516 x 327)
Monks Hall, when it was three tenements (453 x 350)
Monks Hall after its renovation. Ted Hartley wrote 'Monks Hall used to be 3 cottages, occupied by Mr. Chatters, George Piper the manager of the silk Mill, and the Adams family. There was a deep well in front which supplied water for the houses.' (1000 x 645)
Ted Hartley takes his bike out for a spin (1000 x 639)
Building a stack near Glemsford (1116 x 782)
Mowing with a horse-drawn mowing machine, probably at Boxtead Hall (1124 x 790)
Mrs Hartley's brother (634 x 1000)
The Rectory was built in 1827, on the site of a much older parsonage, which was an old timber building. (1071 x 654)
Outside the Black Lion Glemsford c1888, with baskets of fish (2048 x 1468)
Peverells is said to date from 1614, roughly the same time as Monks Hall. (1518 x 966)
The Plough Inn faced Tye Green. The pub was built on the edge of the old boundary of Tye green. In the 1880s, Thomas Goody was the publican. This was followed by the Twinns ,Raymonds and Ezra Game. (1324 x 1090)
The Old Plough Public house- a pub with a well kept garden with peaches trained to the wall. Mr Ezra Game, the landlord used to smoke herrings in a shed behind the pub, using oak sawdust, shavings and bark from the old wheelwrights' shop, (848 x 576)
Glemsford Post Office in 1916. (3240 x 2040)
The Post Office (1075 x 661)
The Post Office at Glemsford. (1025 x 665)
Potash Hall, on Skates Hill (1000 x 664)
Potash farm on Skates Hill. The name suggests that the farm once specialised in creating Potash, which was used in bleaching textiles, making glass, ceramic, and making soap. It was also used for fertilizer or gunpowder, by refining the ashes of broadleaved trees, (1084 x 681)
Frank Hartley on his pride and joy (951 x 1551)
The Primitive Methodist Chapel is still in use. It cost £495 and was opened on Whit Monday 1915, during the First World War. It seated 300. had a Sunday School hall and vestries. (834 x 490)
The non-conformist providence chapel at the top of Hunts Hill. This opened on December 11th 1859. A rift among the Ebenezer Chapel members was now becoming evident; some claimed Ebenezer was too “hyper-Calvinistic” and wanted a more “Evangelistic view” so 32 members left Ebenezer and built their own chapel, here. (2048 x 1260)
The Providence Chapel, Hunts Hill 1918. It opened in 1859 (2048 x 1370)
Pulling Flax in a field outside Glemsford c1920 (2530 x 1610)
The last passenger train leaves Glemsford Station (1000 x 604)
A goods train shunting in the Station Yard. (1200 x 793)
The Old Rectory at Glemsford (902 x 652)
The Duke of Kent opens the new WI Hall in Brook Street in 1937 (800 x 508)
The schoolchidren at the Board School, which was built in 1874, photo taken some time in the late 19th century (800 x 581)
Schoolgirls from Glemsford Board School, taken in around 1920 (800 x 481)
Glemsford school (1820 x 1146)
A school photograph on the lawn around the back (1632 x 1023)
The School, from an old postcard printed in Berlin! (3192 x 1944)
The school when it overlooked fields. Later on, the council houses were built here. (1065 x 638)
The Glemsford Board Schools. (1000 x 589)
This splendid school was built after the 1870 Education Act to the design of the winner of a competition to design a school, and built by Clement Theobald of Long Melford. It had a special boardroom for the Governers above the entrance porch. (1000 x 651)
Scotchford Bridge, over the Glem to Hartest and Stansted. Pastor Cornelius Elvin of Garland Street Baptist Church carried out baptisms in a specially dug pool near Scotchford Bridge at which he claims there were never less than 20 candidates, some almost 80 years of age, (590 x 372)
The Shepherd's cottage at Fern Hill, showing the road to Braggon's hill. It was a noted beauty spot before it burned down in the 1930s (3216 x 1992)
The Shepherd's cottages near Millhill Farm (1044 x 657)
Glemsford Silk Mill (est. 1824), later part of Anderson and Robertson Ltd., Glasgow. The machinery was powered by a waterwheel . A steam boiler was used for the heating and dying. The mill was pulled down in 1960 (1300 x 829)
The Silk mill was built in 1824 by Alexander Duff, specifically to provide employment at a difficult time. It provided jobs for over a hundred people.By the way the locals always referred to the mill as the Silk Mal, the bell which was rung to let the employees know the time to start and finish work was called the Mal Bit, a small green on which stood a large chestnut tree was the Mal Bit, a playground for the Brookies. (1000 x 653)
Glemsford thrived in the cloth industry of the 16th and 17th century, and later on took to producing silk, velvet, horsehair and flax. In the 1920s the mill was flooded, Glemsford was hit by a cloudburst, water rushed through the houses in Brook Street, down Chequers Lane and into the mill, there was terrible damage. (737 x 451)
Skates Hill, Glemsford early 1900's. Otto Brown's father pictured (3060 x 1932)
Skates Hill farmhouse, taken in 1906 (1635 x 1023)
Glemsford Station The view from the Foxearth road via Weston Mill, showing the passenger platform (1000 x 651)
Glemsford Station platform taken from the Foxearth Road. (960 x 590)
Glemsford Railway station, in 1901 (824 x 513)
There is mention of a Chapel of Our Lady in Glemsford, mentioned in old documents from 1520. (1614 x 1024)
The Sunday School Treat, Tye Green 1912 (3251 x 2016)
Next to Longs grocery shop was Mrs Maxim's sweet shop and tobacconist, her husband was the local carrier. On the same site a butchers, Bullingham and Maxim (son and son in law). (555 x 784)
The terrace, at Egremont Street built in around 1875, photographed in 1890 (793 x 497)
'The old mill, Glemsford' (730 x 456)
The Three Turns Pub, viewed from Lower Road heading towards Cavendish. (3216 x 2016)
The Three Turns pub, built as the Railway Hotel in anticipation that the Cavendish Road would become Glemsford's new shopping centre. Its stables were extended in Clay Lump and became a Matting Factory. (3228 x 1835)
The Three Turns Inn, serving as the Railway Hotel, and attracting custom from the Melford to Cambridge Road. It cast a strangely suburban character to the quiet rural spot. The old Matting Factory is in the background. (1809 x 1281)
Threshing Gang at Grove Farm, Angel Lane, Glemsford, 1908 (3000 x 1851)
Tha staff of Joseph Tompkins Horsehair Factory in 1897. This group are, left to right, back row: Miss Copsey, Lizzie Brown, Lizzie Theobald, Liza Oakley, Mrs Sore, Jane Theobald, Joe Bevies. Front row, l to r: Laura Oakley, Nellie Crissal, June Bradman, ----?----, Florrie Copsey, Roda Oakley. (2048 x 1462)
Tye Green 1918, showing the great chestnut tree, and the work-in-progress of Hartley's Wheelwrights shop spilling onto the green (3191 x 1980)
Ernie Hartley and the Game Brothers posing next to the sign for the Plough inn, in front of the work in hand at Hartley's Wheelwrights Shop, with the old manor house of Peverells in the background. Tye Green used to be a lot larger, and was once known as Cage Green. The old Wheelwrights Shop seems to have taken over part of the green as a place to store their stock (2025 x 1268)
Tye Green with view of the Water Tower (3143 x 1878)
Tye Green, Glemsford with Copsey's shop \& The Cherry Tree. (3192 x 1992)
Cottages at Tye Green (684 x 470)
Tye Green in a photograph of around 1910, whth the photographers' daughter in the foreground (1068 x 758)
In the time of Edward the Confessor, there was a College of Priests founded somewhere near here, connected with the See of Ely . It thrived until the time of Henry III. Peverils is thought to be the manor of Glemsford al Peverells. (1581 x 981)
Tye green, before the building of the Water Tower. Note the timber being stored on the edge of the green. (1000 x 654)
Tye Green, showing the Fish Shop. (1422 x 942)
Tye Green: the wheelwrights shop with wagons being repaired, and the gates of the rectory in the distance (1400 x 970)
A tumbril being repaired in front of Peverils, next to the wheelwright's shop (1200 x 770)
Glemsford's most spectacular monument, the Water tower. Despite the fact that water oozed out of the chalk in Glemsford to fill nearly forty ponds with fresh water, the water supply used an artesian well in the Stour Valley drilled at considerable depth and pumped up the hill (2025 x 1268)
Glemsford's water tower, built in 1905, and demolished in 1962 (1958 x 1253)
Glemsford Water Tower, colourised (505 x 817)
The water tower had to be painted every three years with an aluminium paint to stop corrosion. It made the water taste so bad that the villagers were forced to get water from the brrok as of old (800 x 1047)
The great Glemsford Water Tower, which included a chamber for the Parish Council, where their records were kept. (832 x 1242)
A view of Glemsford from the top of the Water Tower 1950 (800 x 578)
Watkinson's Grocers and the Non-conformist chapel that used to stand on Hunts Hill at the junction with Drapery Common, early 1900's. This started life as a Providence Chapel and was built in 1859 and was pulled down in 1974. A house was built on the plot but the graveyard was left. (1400 x 866)
Weavers Cottages now demolished. (800 x 492)
The Glemsford Widows all in their Sunday Best at the Rectory. Was this the annual distribution money from the will of Agnes Gardiner who, on her death in 1600 all left money for the "deserving poor"? Agnes Gardiner's will had a clause by which money was left to be distributed "to widows and maids". Rev Glass, in his booklet said that this distribution continued to the time he was rector, (2950 x 2335)
Billie Whitelaw's cottage, just outside Glemsford (1732 x 1180)